Commercial Director / VP Commercial – Gen Z Marketing platform
Our client is the world’s leading Student Affinity Network that connects a verified global student audience with relevant brands and services in the digital and offline channel. The technology allows fast and simple setup in major eCommerce channels, and brands can quickly have student-only promotions operating on their site and access our client’s own substantial marketing channels. Partners using the platform and marketing services benefit from new customer acquisition, increased spend and customer satisfaction.
The role in a nutshell
In the role of <commercial director / VP commercial> you will be responsible for all commercial activity in North America. Teams across the commercial organisation are specialised and structured in the following way:
- Partner Acquisition
- Partnership Development
- Advertising Sales
- Commercial Operations
The outreach team create pipeline, the partner acquisition team then structure the deals and bring global brands into our client’s network on the right terms, the partnership development team then manage and grow the sales performance of each brand across our key markets and the advertising sales team is leveraging the incredibly valuable data sets we have on the global student audience to create highly effective ad products.
The <commercial director / VP commercial> sits across the entire commercial operation, ensuring global best practice across each function is being adhered to, providing strong coaching and leadership and ensuring we hit our audience engagement and revenue targets.
Whilst we have developed a suite of global standards, there is a plenty of room to innovate process and approach in each market, creating the best playbook to win. Indeed, it’s expected that you will create new products and services that we can rapidly take to market.
Outreach and Partnership Acquisition play a crucial role in attracting the most relevant brands and services into the network, but it’s the partnership development team that drive the revenue given the business is performance based. The PD team also upsell all existing and future products and service. It’s important candidates have experience of running highly commercial, revenue generating account / partner development teams.
Key to this role is the ability to scale teams rapidly, hiring the best talent with the right cultural values.
Day To Day Responsibilities
- Lead and manage a team the whole commercial team in North America
- Work closely with the global heads of acquisition, partnership development, operations and advertising to ensure adherence to strategy and global best practise
- Ensure the team is adequately resourced and hiring plans are in lock step with the revenue goals
- Ensure go to market is optimum for North America
- Make sure targets are met across each commercial function laddering up to total engagement, member growth and revenue goals
- Be responsible for the operational efficiency of your team
- Continually coach, mentor and direct your team members based on strategic objectives and business priorities
- Ensure strong performance management of all team members
- Liaising with the internal vertical development team, support your team as our client breaks into major new verticals like finance and travel
- Own and evolve the annual account plans
- Oversee all campaign activity in North America and ensure we are monetizing each campaign consistently and optimally
- Ensure all teams are skilled in upselling all products and services
- Ensure an optimum monetization approach for all onsite and data assets
- Ensure all team members have the very best sales / pitch decks and sales assets and that these materials are consistent globally (working with the Global Head of B2B)
- Provide regular reporting on performance up to exec level
- Ensure you are providing relevant front line market insight back into the business
- Champion commercial challenges, driving innovations and solutions within the business and it’s partners
- Act as key liaison with business stakeholders in respect to Commercial activities
- Bring out the very best in your team members through behaviour and performance
What We Need From You
- The desire and ambition to build something of true scale – we have the business model to allow the creation of a $1b company with 50% + EBITDA margin within 4 years
- 15+ years commercial experience with a significant proportion of that time in management
- Experience of building and scaling large teams
- Deep rooted understanding of digital technology, affiliate, e-commerce, online advertising, & enterprise sales.
- A love of deal-making and commercials execution
- Highly process orientated
- A willingness for international travel and sometimes unsociable hours
- Inspiring, respected
- Experience and love of data, and you enjoy finding powerful stories from the numbers you analyze.
- An understanding of retail and the convergence of offline and online a strong plus.
- Thrive at the edge of your comfort zone
- Naturally curious person – you love to understand how businesses are run, and how things work in the world around you. You love to learn.
- Strong desire to coach, mentor, and train.
- Impeccable communication, written and presentations skills.
- A ”jump through walls” mentality to getting things done.
- Degree educated or equivalent
Please fill out the form below or email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org